Contact: Tracey Anton, Senior Manager, Marketing & Communications
Phone: 212-358-2828 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The holiday season is upon us and many shoppers wishing to avoid long lines at stores or who just like shopping from the comfort of their home do much of their shopping online. It’s quick, convenient and your gifts are delivered right to your door.
But have you considered what could happen if your merchandise is delivered to your home and you’re not there? It’s a sad truth that every year, packages are stolen from doorsteps, especially at the holidays.
“Some thieves are brazen enough to follow delivery trucks through the neighborhood, helping themselves to packages delivered at the homes of others,” said Claire Rosenzweig, President and CEO of the Better Business Bureau Serving Metropolitan New York. “At the holidays and year-round, the BBB urges consumers to be proactive and take steps to help ensure that you actually get your delivered packages.”
BBB offers the following tips to help protect your purchases from those who might want to take advantage of your shopping for themselves:
· Be sure you know which company is delivering your package.
· Know the tracking number: Most delivery services offer text, email or web based notifications that allow you to track your package’s delivery status. Track your purchases often until you receive the merchandise. Contact the store immediately if your package is not received when indicated.
· Always request a signature confirmation upon delivery. This will prevent the delivery person from leaving the package unattended.
· Request a delivery time when you know you will be home.
· If you know you will not be at home when your delivery is scheduled, consider having your items shipped to a trusted neighbor or friend who you know will be at home. Ask them to be on the lookout for the delivery in case the delivery person doesn’t ring the doorbell.
· Have the package shipped to your place of employment if permissible.
· Give special instructions for delivery if needed – Ask the package delivery company to leave your purchases somewhere they cannot be seen from the street, e.g. back porch, behind the back door, etc.
· Request that the package be held at the delivery company’s local delivery center and pick it up there.
· Have the item shipped to the retailer’s nearest store for “in-store pick-up.”
· When you do receive your merchandise examine it immediately. If you believe it’s been tampered with, contact the store immediately.
For more tips you can trust, visit www.newyork.bbb.org, and to sign up for our weekly scam alerts, visit https://cbbb.wufoo.com/forms/email-sign-up/.